Harnessing Innovation to Prevent Tragedy: Gary Mendell on Shatterproof
In the latest episode of Consider the Source, we hear how a devastating personal tragedy sent a successful entrepreneur and devoted father on a mission to create real systemic change in the addiction space. Omnia Family Wealth Co-Founder and Chief Operating Officer Michael Wagner interviews Gary Mendell, co-founder of HEI Hotels & Resorts and Founder and CEO of Shatterproof.
During the interview, Mendell recalls his entrepreneurial experience and the strategies that helped him find success in the ’80s and ’90s. While his company was expanding to become one of the fastest-growing hotel investment firms, Mendell and his family were navigating the complex world of drug and alcohol treatment programs as their eldest son struggled to fight addiction. Tragically, after years of fighting, the disease eventually claimed his son’s life.
Grappling with grief after the painful loss, Mendell left his business in the hands of his team and began traveling across the country on a mission to find out what he could have done differently and what he could do to spare others from experiencing a similar tragedy. His discoveries led to the creation of Shatterproof, a non-profit organization committed to ending the devastation caused by the disease of addiction.
Throughout the conversation, Wagner and Mendell discuss:
- How Mendell’s professional skillsets have translated to non-profit work
- The importance of creating a culture focused on giving the best possible return to investors and stakeholders
- How to best prepare your business for succession or an unexpected event
- Mendell’s strategic approach to assembling a team
- Blocking and tackling and the 80:20 principle